Thursday, May 15, 2014

A New Project and the Nature of Forgiveness

So, I've been not writing much, and that's not good for me, but I rarely find myself inspired enough to sit down and write. In order to do better, I've been looking for a formula, something that would give me some structure, and I think I've found it. First, look here. Blogging once a week about a specific set of preset texts. Perfect. Structure, a schedule, all the things I need to force some effort out of myself. So, I'm joining the project, in a very "Hey, I'm going to do this, too" kind of way, not in any official capacity.  With that said, let's launch into this week.

Acts 7
55 But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56 “Look,” he said, “I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.”
57 At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him,58 dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul.
59 While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep.

What struck me immediately about this passage, and something I'd forgotten, was Stephen's last words, asking forgiveness for his killers, which immediately reminded me of Jesus's words on the cross, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do." What is striking about these is the unconditional nature of the forgiveness shown by Stephen and Jesus. The people they are forgiving are literally in the middle of killing them. There's no repentance, no apology necessary first. They don't feel the need to rebuke them for their sin. They forgive. Immediately, and without precondition.

Unfortunately, at times the church gets away from the model of forgiveness shown by Stephen and Jesus. We demand that repentance precede forgiveness, even though neither Jesus nor Stephen demanded that as they died. I recently read a post online, in reaction to what the poster thought was an acceptance of sin, which said that Jesus's model was to rebuke sin, and then forgive, but on the cross, He literally indicates that He desires forgiveness for those who DON'T know what they do, and feels no need to rebuke prior to forgiving. Jesus and Stephen forgive, and request forgiveness wholly and unconditionally. May we have the strength to follow in that path.

1 comment:

  1. There's no repentance, no apology necessary first - I love that, that is such a challenge to me. Do I need an invitation from the perpetrator to extend forgiveness? No I do not. Great thoughts

    ReplyDelete